Skip to main content

Interview: Syd Brisbane - 37 (Queensland Theatre)

 

Interview by Jake Goodall

 

Actor Syd Brisbane is currently performing at the Billie Brown Theatre as a part of Queensland Theatre's ground breaking production 37! We got the chance to sit down with Syd to have a chat about the production and the importance of arts involvement in reconciliation!

 

DD: How did you prepare for the role of The General

 

SB: Firstly, reading the lines over and over to know all the nuances of the text. I am lucky that I know AFL football inside and out. I grew up playing from the age of 5-21 And am a passionate supporter and member of Essendon Football Club. I also read a book called THE COACH about Ron Barassi taking North Melbourne to their FIRST flag in 1975. It documented their whole season.

 

 

DD: Tell us a bit about the rehearsal process and working with the team

 

SB: The rehearsal process was a bit different for me than the rest of the ensemble. Luckily, I was involved in the opening 'dance' for the first 3 weeks of rehearsals so I was a part of the whole body to body lifting carrying getting sweaty getting close physically to the team.

 

When we were rehearsing 'match' scenes I wasn't a part of. I tried to stay present in the room absorbing what the boys were doing as well as working on my speeches. That is to say I didn't go off into another space but was with the atmosphere of the creative process.

 

Issac is a very collaborative director so if I had some ideas for scenes, I wasn't in he would listen to them.

 

 

DD: How do you think art and culture should change to support reconciliation.

 

SB: Wow what a question. One big thing I've thought for a while now is that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should NOT pay for tickets. There could be more funding for new First Nations work. And the major companies should program at least ONE new First Nations work per year.

 

When I say new work, I don't mean it has to have been written 2024. There are many great plays that may have had a life at smaller independent companies that have been seen by so few people. A great example of this is Glenn Shea. I have worked with Glenn the last few years at La Mama theatre in 2022 on "An Indigenous Trilogy" and 2023 on "MiWi 3027" wonderful stories that were given little to no money that deserved to be seen by a MUCH wider audience. I'm sure this is the case all around the country.

 

 

DD: Do you have any lived experience in football? Could you tell us a bit about it?

 

SB: My lived experience of football is that I started playing at primary school when I was 8years old. Then moved into U13, U 15 & U17 comps. I played in the APS for 2 years in Melbourne when I was 16 & 17. At 18 I trained with Glenelg U19 in the SANFL and played for my university side.

 

I am a member of THE ESSENDON FOOTBALL CLUB and go to as many games as possible. I study the game listen to the coaches and watch all the analysis I can on TV so keep up with the current trends and philosophies.

 

At the age of 21 I started playing field hockey which I did for over 20 years. I also coached an Essendon Hockey Club team to a flag in 2003.

 

DD: If you could convince someone to come see this show, what would you say?

SB: Come and see theatre at its finest. This is a show which will provide you with plenty of laughs but also give you plenty to think about, make you uncomfortable one moment and delight you the next. Come and see why hundreds of people have leapt to their feet at the end of the show and given us standing ovations night after night. 10 men who care deeply about each other both on and off the stage.

 

37 only has a few more shows, closing the 4th of May! Don't miss your chance to see this deeply moving production! BOOK NOW!


Click here to read Drama Dispatch's review of Queensland Theatre's 37!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Cost of Living - Queensland Theatre Company & Sydney Theatre Company

Written By Grace Wilson It’s not often you get to witness a work that changes a theatrical landscape. Sometimes we see new and bright ideas come to life but with relatively little to no impact on the way we have seen theatre for centuries. We are almost used to seeing the spark fizzle, to see conversations die away - but this co production between Queensland Theatre and Sydney Theatre Compan of Cost of Living has turned the spark into full flame. Martyna Majok’s Cost of Living asks us what is the bottom line of love, and whether love is truly something that transcends boundaries, whether they be physical or emotional? The work itself is sharp, witty, and evocative - it uses dialogue and conversation in real time to ask these hard-hitting questions about love and our ability to love, without preaching to the choir. The story itself follows a crossroad of characters: John, a PhD student with cerebral palsy, and his new young carer, Jess, and Eddie, an older trucker who is caring for his ...

Review: Freshblood Festival - Vena Cava

Written By Thor Morrison Upcoming creatives need a place to experiment, to prosper, to explore, and even to sometimes miss the mark. It is essential that spaces that allow this to happen exist, especially in a world obsessed with perfectionism. The Freshblood Festival is an annual event run by QUT Student Theatre Company Vena Cava, focused on young writers and performers, and it does just that. It provides a space for the new and upcoming creatives of Brisbane and surrounds to experiment, have fun, and create really exciting performances. Held at BackDock Arts in Fortitude Valley, and running over two consecutive weekends, it is a massive endeavour Vena Cava have given themselves. 14 independent shows, two play readings, and 8 music acts ensure that Freshblood has something for everyone to enjoy, and shows the variety and scale of the Festival itself. Drama Dispatch was able to attend most of the second weekend, seeing a total of seven shows and a play reading, and was greatly impresse...

Article: Company comes to Southeast Queensland!

Phoenix Theatre Company is thrilled to announce the highly anticipated production of Stephen Sondheim's groundbreaking musical 'Company.' This fresh and exciting revival will run from 2-23 August 2024 at the  Pavilion Theatre, Beenleigh Directed by the renowned Tammy Sarah Linde 'Company' promises to deliver an unforgettable theatrical experience. With a stellar cast and an innovative creative team, this production aims to capture the essence of Sondheim's visionary work while offering a contemporary twist that will resonate with audiences today. 'Company' first premiered on Broadway in 1970 and has since become a cornerstone of musical theatre. The story revolves around Bobby, a bachelor celebrating his 35th birthday, and his interactions with his married friends. Through a series of vignettes, the musical explores themes of love, commitment, and the complexities of modern relationships. With a score featuring some of Sondheim's most iconic songs, ...